Saturday, August 2, 2014

Sailor Mars



Alright! I'm back with another special entry to the Sailor Moon series. I'm writing this in red for a special occasion. This time, we're going to discuss my favorite character in the franchise, Sailor Mars & Act 3 of Sailor Moon Crystal. This episode actually had me worried since I was curious how much her mindset would change opposed to the 1st anime & how well would she adapt from the manga in this series, but after what I saw, I have no worries anymore. You will also want to check with Clay Awesmic's "Awesmic Gallery" & Mariah aka Miss Maia's "Pink Page". 

Before I get into Sailor Mars as a character, I want to cover something because it seems that I'm misunderstood in the Sailor Moon Universe, Anime Communities, & people in the Fighting Game Communities who are also fans of the series or any other anime. It's about who's your favorite character, why, & how you view each anime series. 

What I look for in a show of any kind that is action-pack with lots of fighter are several things: 

  • How much of a killer are they or are they "about that life" sort of speak, meaning are they willing to throw down any time & anywhere
  • How they carry themselves opposed to others, 
  • What are their special abilities & how they're used, 
  • What role do they play
  • How much do they have to rely on others for help 
  • How well do they fight without any help, & how many times do they step up to the plate when their allies need them to the most.

Let's be serious here for a second. How they look is the bonus beauty of it all Looks really have nothing to do with the decision or interest when viewing the show. So therefore when I'm speaking of characters, unless we're comparing looks to others, I don't really mention how hot they look because I already know that it's 95% guaranteed that I will get that out of the creation of the character. I already know that Sailor Mars is beautiful just like the rest of them. I mention how they fight. That's how I view all of them. I view them as fighters. If this were about how hot they look, then I would throw Neptune, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus & Pluto in the mix all day long with Mars, but it isn't. I look at the show for an action-packed series. This is just how I view them, so please don't take it the wrong way. If all you tell me is "they're hot & their powers", then there won't be much to talk about. Hahaha. I'm more appreciative of what the characters "are" rather than how they "look" the majority of the time. Same for fighting games.

Another thing that I want to cover is this: a hero's role. When people say "Mercury pointing out the foe's weaknesses but her not dishing out the damage while the other one does so it is a win", that is not a win. That is like saying that "Krillin from DBZ being killed by Frieza is his win since it caused Goku to transform into a Super Saiyan is a win". Yet, he stood no chance at beating Frieza, but Goku did. No, that's not how it works. You get no props for that. I am sorry, it just doesn't work like that. It's a great assist, but it doesn't mean that "she" killed the foe. 

Now am I saying that Mercury is terrible? Hell no! She's far from that & she's looking great in Crystal even better than her 90's counterpart, but those are not her wins. You have to earn your stripes. Rowen from Ronin Warriors is the most intellectual fighter out of the warriors. He's a brainiac that not only pinpoint weaknesses, but he will also ram his foot up in people's asses when he needs to. That's a win. Gohan, yet another brainiac because of Chi Chi, but he will also put you in your place when he needs to. That is my definition of a win when fighting. 

Alright, now back to yours truly, Sailor Mars. "Why do you like Sailor Mars?" You may ask. I like Sailor Mars simply because she has the it factor that I look for in a fighter of any kind. Her wearing my favorite colors & her looks are a bonus. So I really don't have to mention those 2. 


  • She will fight at will
  • She has very good attitude & carries herself well
  • Like her secret psychic powers & fire elements
  • Like that she will fight & defeat her opponents when alone
  • She doesn't always rely on help, go & watch her fight Kathy for an example
  • She defines my definition of a warrior
The only other scouts that I know that are very strong fighters realistically are Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto & I could "probably" pass Venus since she uses her athleticism & Artemis guiding her up until she meets up with the rest of the scouts to her disposal.  Even still, I would say that realistically, those 5 are the strongest hands-on fighters out of the bunch. 

In the Act 3 of Sailor Mars, she was a lot more chill as I expected but as I said before, I was worried about how her manga traits would adapt. Worried about her not being hot-headed & how close she would be to Sailor Moon because I enjoyed both of these elements in the 1st series. However, after I seen the episode, I couldn't stop watching the episode. It was amazing. She was even friendlier to Sailor Moon than she was in the original. I have no more worries.

It's going to be fun watching how the relationships from the manga or in this new series develop overtime, but this is exciting. Her special is even more deadlier than her very 1st special attack from the original anime. I can't wait to see what other powers will appear in the series. 

Right now, it's hard to even compare her differences in each series. I am sure that Miss Maia & Awesmic will have their thoughts on their blog sites so check out their pages & stay tuned for them. Next, will come Sailor Jupiter, but I will back track & do a write-up on my impressions of Sailor Mercury & Sailor Moon in my leisure time before Jupiter arrives. For now, I hope you enjoyed my thoughts & impressions of the beautiful deadly shrine maiden, Sailor Mars. 





Sailor Mars Transformation


Sailor Moon Episode 3:Sailor Mars

1 comment:

  1. I agree what you said about Rei's attributes.
    Personally I like how Rei acts in the manga more then the 90's anime, she is more serious and always in good terms with the other senshis, and hope that will stay true in the new anime. :D

    ReplyDelete